Known as the BBQ Capital of the World and Paris of the Plains, Kansas City, MO is a beautiful, wondrous metropolis filled with rich history and culture. However, like most major cities, its large population makes moving in, out, and within it a hassle. To ensure your relocation to, from, or within KC is as smooth as possible, our Kansas City movers have put together a pre-and-post move checklist for you to follow.
Before Moving Day
Six Weeks Before
- Compile a list of Kansas
City moving companies and begin contacting each for estimates.
- Start evaluating your possessions to determine
what to keep and what to get rid of.
- Make a list of people and organizations you will
need to notify about your change of address (friends, family, doctors,
creditors, insurance companies, employers, service professionals etc.).
Four Weeks Before
- Submit a Change of Address form at the post
office or DMV.
- Reserve a loading dock, elevator, and parking
space reservations if you’re moving into an apartment or condominium building.
- Collect and organize important documents (will,
deeds, bonds, stocks etc.).
- Make necessary changes to bank accounts and
safety deposit boxes.
Two Weeks Before
- Take your car in for maintenance work.
- Contact utility companies to schedule a
disconnect of services at your current home and a setup of services at your new
- Make moving-day arrangements for kids and pets.
- Schedule time off work to prepare for the move
and be present for your Kansas City movers on moving day.
One Week Before
- Give away unmovable items like plants and
- Prepare instructions for your movers. Should
include information pertaining to emergency phone numbers, special directions
- Host a garage sale to try and get rid of the
items you won’t be taking with you.
- Post whatever doesn’t sell at the garage sale on
eBay or Craigslist.
- Start saying your farewells to friends and
The Day Before
- Donate the items you won’t be taking with you,
but were unable to sell.
- Disconnect all electronics and pack them up.
- Defrost, drain wash, and dry your freezer and
- Pack essential items to take with you in the car
(checkbook, passport, cash, credit cards, medicine, etc.).
- Label items that you won’t be taking with you,
or ones that should be handled with care so the movers don’t have to ask.
- Clear walkway so your movers can easily enter
and exit your house.
- Have a detailed plan of how you want your
furniture arranged in your new house.
- Pack a cooler of food to take with you during the
After Moving Day
- Unpack boxes, starting with ones carrying
high-priority items, and store those that don’t need to be unpacked right away.
- Either store empty boxes if you plan on reusing
them, or break them down for recycling.
- Take a drive or walk around the neighborhood to
get acquainted with it.
- Meet your neighbors.
- Relax by eating a nice meal and watching
television (you earned it!).
By following this comprehensive checklist, you will benefit from a streamlined and stress-free move in KC. If you need help finding a quality Kansas City moving company, look no further than Daniel’s Moving & Storage. Give us a call or fill out our online quote form to receive your free estimate today!