Moving to a new home means packing up everything including your entire wardrobe. But do you really still wear everything hanging in your closet or folded in your drawers? An easy way to make your move around the Phoenix area a little lighter is to sort through your old clothes and shoes for donation.
What items are acceptable for donation?
When sorting through your clothes and shoes make sure to inspect them so you know they are still reusable by their next owner. Look for tears, stains or deterioration to know if the garment is acceptable for donating. A coat with holes or shoes with the soles worn down are not considered to be in great condition and should probably be tossed in the trash pile.
How do you prep your items for donation?
One request most organizations have is that all items be washed or dry-cleaned at the time of drop-off. While organizations typically will wash and clean the garments before handing them out, they like to know the actually condition of the items in advance. Scrubbing your tennis shoes or shining your dress shoes can also help the organization in repurposing them.
Where can you drop off your donations?
The Phoenix area has plenty of different options when you’re looking to give away your items.
· Goodwill: In business since 1902, Goodwill collects used household goods and clothing to resell to those in need or on a budget.
· Donation Town: Donation Town is website that helps you find the best resources for donating your clothes and other items to charities in the Phoenix area.
· Big Brothers, Big Sisters: The organization collects clothing and household items to raise money for the Big Brothers, Big Sisters program. All donated items are sold to local Phoenix Savers thrift stores and the proceeds help to cover the organization’s operating expenses.
· AWEE: The Arizona Women’s Education & Employment is an organization that helps prepare its participants for the workforce. AWEE collects professional clothing, shoes and appropriate accessories to provide to participants getting ready for their new jobs or interviews.
· Salvation Army: The Salvation Army is a nationwide organization that accepts clothing, household items and furniture to resell at a fair price in their Family Store to those in need.Not only is donating your old clothes a good way to clear space before your move, it’s a great way to help others in the process. For any other tips on how to make your move more manageable, Daniel’s Moving & Storage is available all your Phoenix moving services. To learn more, give us a call at 888-669-3490 or fill out our online quote form for a free estimate.