Daniel’s Moving and Storage, run as smoothly as possible: When the Movers Arrive
- First thing when the movers arrive check the Bill of Landing. All moving companies are required to show you your contract, which is referred to as the Bill of Landing. Take a few minutes to thoroughly read it over before signing it. It should match your original service order, if it doesn't be sure to address any concerns.
- Supervise the entire packing process. It’s easy to just let the movers run the show, since they are professionals. But make sure to watch over them as they pack your belongings, this should limit any confusion.
- Provide snacks and water. This will help keep the movers in good spirits and provide them with a little energy.
- Do a double check. Check every room, closet, nook and cranny to make sure you have all of your belongings and that everything is empty for the next owners.
- Check for any damages the movers may have caused. Especially if you are moving out of somewhere where you need to get a security deposit back.
- Make sure to have cash. You should have about $20 to $25 per mover, for a tip.
- Before leaving your old house, make sure you give the movers your cell phone number, just in case they get lost or delayed.
- Try and get there before the movers do, so no time is wasted.
- Do an initial walk-through. Note any damage and make sure everything is where it should be. Also, check to make sure the outlets, appliances, faucets and toilets work.
- Tape a sign with the name of the room to each door. Even if the movers have a floor layout, this will help the entire process go more smoothly.
- Again, oversee the entire process and make sure all your belongings get placed in the correct rooms
- Try not to overwhelm yourself. Moving alone is a daunting task, don’t feel rushed to unpack everything the same day too.
- Schedule cable, phone, and internet once you’re settled in.
Tagsgetting organized moving tips overseeing a move professional movers
Subscribe to Daniel's Moving & Storage's Blog